The dead were identified as –
- Nur Mohammad, 32, son of Moshak Ali of Pirganj in Rangpur and
- Delwar, 19, son of Sultan Ahmad of Maniknagar in Bogra.
According to sources, the accident occurred when the workers entered the tank to work.
The injured Nizam Uddin, 23, and Khokan, 25, were admitted to a local private clinic.
With yesterday's accident, 11 workers have so far died in 7 separate accidents the shipbreking yards this year.
Other fatal accidents in 2011:
- Four were killed at Mak Corporation Shipbreaking Yard on January 18,
- one at Mahin Enterprise Shipbreaking Yard on March 15,
- one at Jamuna Shipbreaking Yard on August 14,
- one at Peninsula Super Ship Yard on August 20,
- one at Fortune Shipbreaking Yard on September 18 and
- one at SRS Shipbreaking Yard on September 22.
Source: The Daily Star. 13 October 2011