What is ISO 30000?
ISO 30000:2009 specifies requirements for a management system to enable a ship recycling facility to develop and implement procedures, policies and objectives in order to be able to undertake safe and environmentally sound ship recycling operations in accordance with national and international standards.
The management system requirements take into account the relevant legal requirements, safety standards and environmental elements that the ship recycling facility needs to identify and comply with in order to carry out safe and environmentally sound ship recycling.
ISO 30000 applies to the entire process:
- accepting a ship for recycling by the facility;
- assessing the hazards onboard the ship;
- identifying and complying with any applicable notification and import requirements for ships to be recycled;
- carrying out the recycling process in a safe and environmentally sound manner;
- conducting required training;
- ensuring the availability of social amenities (e.g. first aid, health checks, food and beverages);
- storage and processing of materials and wastes from the ship;
- waste stream and recycling stream management, including contractual agreements; and
- documentation controls for the process, including any applicable notification of the final disposal of the vessel
Which organizations can implement ISO 30000?
ISO 30000:2009 is applicable to any ship recycling facility that wishes to:
- establish, implement, maintain and improve a safe and environmentally sound management system for the recycling of ships;
- assure itself of conformity with its stated safe and environmentally sound management policy;
- demonstrate conformity with ISO 30000:2009 by
- making a self-determination and self-declaration, or
- seeking confirmation of its conformance by parties having an interest in the facility such as customers, or
- seeking confirmation of its self-declaration by a party external to the organization, or
- seeking certification/registration of its management system by an external organization.
What are the Advantages of implementing ISO 30000?
Main advantages of implementing ISO 30000, is that this standard -
- helps you in selection of ship to import the ship till each and every gram of DWT (Dead weight tonnage) of the ship is recycled and disposed in environmentally sound and safe manner.
- It has a much wider scope than any other Environment management system or Health and safety management system.
- a powerful marketing tool to your past, present and future customers, suppliers, ship owners, government departments and other interested parties.
- Promote your ship recycling unit in overseas markets as a unique environment friendly and safe unit.
- Have a formal system to manage business for your organization
Source: Global Environment and Safety Solution.